A new position for an egyptologist/philologist has opened at the Museo Egizio, Turin. The deadline for applications is October 7, 2016.
This procedure is for the recruitment of 1 staff member in the role of Egyptologist-philologist, with a fixed-term contract to carry out research and curatorial activities on the collection of the Museo Egizio with a maximum duration of three years. The successful candidate:
-will have research experience of the written material culture of ancient Egypt, especially regarding papyri and ostraca (with a knowledge of Hieratic, Abnormal Hieratic and, if possible, Demotic);
-will be able to develop research programmes on the written material culture in collaboration with other cultural and academic institutions;
-will support and develop temporary exhibitions on pharaonic Egypt both for the Museo Egizio and as travelling exhibitions;
-will publish academic papers relating to the Egyptian collection and associated research;
-will be willing to travel around Italy and abroad;
-will be willing to interact with the public;
-will be able to work with others and with all departments and offices within a museum environment;
-can achieve objectives effectively and on time, while maintaining the academic reputation of the Museo Egizio by means of high-quality scientific publications, research programmes, temporary exhibitions and communication with the public.
The following are essential in order to apply for the post:
-previous experience of scientific publications
-ability to use word-processing software, especially with online platforms
-proven experience in the development of temporary exhibitions for the
-experience in excavations
-highly-developed aptitude for research into materials, texts and their contexts
The successful candidate will report to the Director and will work as a member of the Research & Collections department.
Contract and position
1. The successful candidate will be recruited on a temporary contract in accordance with Legislative Decree 81/2015, for a duration of time corresponding to that of the research project to which this recruitment requirement refers, in accordance with the provisions of article 23 paragraph 3 of the said decree, and subject to the provisions of current legislation.
2. The place of work will be in Turin and this is a fulltime position, area D, level D1, in accordance with the CCNL Federculture contract (National Work Contract for the cultural sector), with a gross monthly salary of EUR 3,740.00 (14 monthly payments per year). Employment will be confirmed after a 30-day trial period.
1. The following requirements are necessary for admission to the recruitment process: a) general requirements:
-an adequate knowledge of English;
-enjoyment of civil and political rights;
-no criminal convictions and/or not the subject of interdict or restraining orders or other preventive measures;
-above the minimum legal working age;
-of sound mental and physical fitness for the work required, and aware that the Foundation may carry out assessments in this regard in accordance with the law;
b) specific requirements:
-consolidated experience gained in working environments similar to those of a cultural institution and specific abilities as detailed in article 1;
-PhD in Egyptology
-able to read scientific publications in German and French;
-able to prepare scientific information for social media:
-able to manage, interpret and process information, also by using the latest computer systems, in order to achieve the objectives assigned;
-able to work in groups on complex activities and processes
-able to manage and coordinate relationships with flexibility, speed and autonomy in highly variable working environments;
-superior skills in writing and editing in an accessible style.
-authorship of articles, monographs and scientific volumes on the language aspects of Egyptology (Hieroglyphic, Hieratic and/or Demotic)
2. The admission requirements shall be met and maintained from the moment the application is submitted,
Procedure and terms of application
1. The application for admission to the recruitment process, in Italian or English, must be made in writing and duly signed by the candidate.
2. When applying the candidate must truthfully declare:
1. his/her personal details (name, surname, date and place of birth, civil status, nationality), address, telephone number and an email address for communications regarding this application;
2. that he/she enjoys civil and political rights;
3. that he/she has no criminal convictions and/or is not the subject of
interdict or restraining orders or other preventive measures;
4. that he/she is of sound mental and physical fitness for the work required
5. that he/she possesses the qualifications required, indicating details of
when and where the qualification was awarded.
3. The application must be accompanied by the following documentation,
a) non-authenticated photocopy of a valid identity document corresponding to the details of the status, personal qualities and facts contained in this application and supporting documents, for the purposes set out in Articles 46 and 47, Decree of the President of the Republic, December 28, 2000, no. 445;
b) a professional and academic curriculum vitae, including levels of competence in modern languages, dated and signed by hand;
c) a report of no more than three pages, describing the skills and abilities acquired as per the requirements set out in article 1 above, detailing qualifications, responsibilities, duties, objectives and results, and the experience gained and consolidated in previous employment activities (provide a brief description of the place of work, its organisational structure and the functional relationships relating to your professional activity).
d) one colour passport photo.
e) A list of scientific publications is mandatory.
4. The application and relevant documentation is to be delivered in a sealed envelope duly countersigned over the flaps, by registered post or courier no later than noon on October 7 2016 to Fondazione Museo delle Antichità Egizie di Torino, Via Accademia delle Scienze 6, 10123 Torino – Ufficio Amministrativo, 6th floor-.
5. The envelope containing all documentation as per point 4 above must be marked with the words: “SELEZIONE PER FILOLOGO”.
1. The Selection Board will be set up in accordance with article 4 of the Regulations for Staff Members of the Foundation.
2. The Board shall examine applications in order to pre-select candidates who meet all the general and special requirements set out in this recruitment notice.
3. The Board will examine the pre-selected candidates, referred to above, assessing the specific characteristics of individual candidates, with a view to holding interviews, eventually by skype, at a time and place which will be communicated by email by the Foundation.
1. The outcome of the recruitment process will be made public on the Fondazione website with the words “Valutazione terminata: candidato selezionato” (Assessment completed: candidate selected.)
Formal Offer of Employment
Employment will be formalized by means of an individual fixed-term employment contract whose duration will correspond to the duration of the research project assigned (the project is expected to last between 24 and 36 months).
1. Pursuant to Legislative Decree no. 196, June 30, 2003, the personal information provided by applicants during the recruitment process will be used exclusively for the purposes connected to the recruitment process itself and for any subsequent adjustment to the individual employment contract.
1. This recruitment procedure ensures equal opportunities of access to employment for men and women in accordance with Legislative Decree no. 198, 11 April, 2006.
2. For any further information concerning this recruitment notice, please send an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org or to email@example.com; queries will be answered within 48 hours.