The breeding of pigeons was the exclusive privilege of Genovese nobles. When, in 1204, the island of Tinos was invaded by the Genovese, the locals were obliged to build dovecotes, their only reward being the pigeons’ droppings which they used as fertilizer for their land. After the departure of the Genovese from their island, the inhabitants of Tinos continued to breed pigeons for their droppings and their meat. The western style dovecotes, known as “couloubaria” became a feature of cycladic architecture. Out of the many dovecotes that were built on the island during the 18th and 19th century, today there remain roughly one thousand. In this article the square buildings are described in detail. They have two floors and a terrace, the materials they are built of are described, as well as the façade and the external decoration on the dovecotes.