The founding of the museum helps protect church property belonging to Lemesos Cathedral which includes the parishes of four boroughs and seventy-seven communities, not counting the monasteries. The museum will be housed in a building designed by the Italian architect Cafiero (1923). The collections will include icons and objects that have lost their ritualistic or devotional character. The oldest icon belongs to the 12th century, the ecclesiastical books come from the Greek painters’ press in Venice, the copper plate engravings and the altarcloths span the 16th to the 19th century. There are items of embroidery in gold thread, ceramics, metalwork, wood carvings, sculptured architectural elements, inscriptions and headstones dating from the 18th and 19th centuries.