During the early years of modern Greek history, the small town of Tyrnavos in Thessaly was one of the Centres of creative handicrafts. A booming trade flourished there. The references to Tyrnavos, in the Middle Ages, are few and consist of a written Byzantine document of the 10th century that deals with the “Martyrdom of St. Nicolas the Younger from Vouniani” and of archaeological evidence, mainly ceramics dating from the 12th to the 15th centuries. This archaeological data proves that Medieval Tyrnavos was located on the same site occupied by the early Byzantine town and overthrows K. Kouma’s theory according to which Tyrnavos was founded by Tourachan Bey, the conquer of Thessaly (1423). At best we can accept that Tourachan Bey simply transferred a scattered population, collected from all over Thessaly and installed it at Tyrnavos.