The first theatre of Athens was a wooden shack on Aiolou street where acrobats performed. The theatre had capacity for an audience of approximately a thousand seated around the stage. Performances were announced by the town crier who stood at the dimly lit entrance to the theatre. When a storm tore off the tent that covered the theatre, it remained without a roof. In five months the theatre had been destroyed by the bad weather conditions, before the manager A. Sconzopoulos could pay off the timber. The theatre opened (in May 1836) with what was allegedly an Italian play translated by Rigas. Details are given in Marios Ploritis’ article in “Vima on Sunday” of April 22 1984.