In 1886, following an invitation from king Edward the 6th, English scholars founded the British School of Archaeology. The plans were by the school’s first director F.C Penrose, on a plot of land on number 52 Souedias St., granted by the Greek government. Each year, the School publishes the Annual of the British School in Athens and the Supplementary Volumes which contain monographs on important archaeological excavations. During 1987, the British School concentrated on archaeological research at the following sites:
a) The Vicos gorge in Epiros.
b) The interior of the palace at Knossos (Sinclair Hood).
c) Palaiokastro on the eastern coast of Crete.
d) The Assiros mound in central Macedonia (K.Wardle).