In the 6th century AD Amykli is a small settlement located in the region of Ancient Tegea, but nevertheless a fortified village and episcopate of the district. The original Byzantine church of the village was erected on the site of the ancient theatre of Tegea (Roman phase: 146-330 AD.). In the 19th century and according to contemporary travelers the church lay in ruins. In 1888 however, the architect Ziller was commissioned with the execution of the plans for the restoration of the church, the first project he undertook outside the Greek capital. In 1932 the decoration of the church with wall-paintings started, after a new restoration of the building. This challenging work was executed by Agenor Asteriades and it represents the major artistic product of the painter’s career. Asteriades had a perfect knowledge of folk and byzantine tradition, therefore, both the repertoire and style he employed for the wallpaintings originate from this dual source.