The ruins of the Byzantine castle of Zichna are located six kilometers away from the modern settlement of Nea Zichni. Five sections of the fort, two gates and one tower are preserved today, as well as one Byzantine church, one cistern and two (?) Ottoman baths. In addition, three ruined houses, one bridge and the post-Byzantine church of Hagios loannis Prodromos is what remains from the adjacent village, which had been inhabited until the 1960’s. Zichna is mentioned for the first time by the twelfth-century Arab geographer Idrisi, while its castle, probably built in the fourteenth century, was captured by the Ottomans in 1375 ad.