The University of Urbino “Carlo Bo” is to host “Between Lyra and Aulos, Musical Traditions and Poetic Genres”, a multi-disciplinary international conference, organized by the University’s Department of Sciences of Communication and Humanities (DiSCUm) in the framework of their Summer school in Greek Metrics and Rhythmics.
The conference is scheduled for 5-6 September 2014.
Calls for individual papers (duration 20 mins) are now invited. A title and abstract of 300-400 words should be provided by 31st January 2014. The languages of the conference are Italian and English.
Proposals are welcome from researchers in Ancient Greek Literature, Latin Literature, Classical Philology, History of Ancient Music, History of Ancient Art, Archaeology and Iconography of Ancient Instruments, Anthropology of Ancient World.
The meeting will focus on the relationship between the poetic genres of Archaic, Classical and Hellenistic Greece and the instrumental accompaniments traditionally associated with them. In particular, the idea would be, on the one hand, to re-read the poetic genres and their history in the light of the more technical aspects of practice and instrumental performance and, on the other hand, to reconsider more carefully the performance and instrumental practice in closer relationship to the genera and poetic forms that are inextricably linked to it. Possible lines of research could be, among others:
1. Literary Genres and Instrumental Accompaniment: Ethos of a Given Instrumental Accompaniment in Relation to Different Literary Genres; Literary Genres between Lyra and Aulos: Dominance of Lyra over Aulos (and vice versa) in the History of Literary Genres, and Its Meaning; Literary Genres accompanied by both Lyra and Aulos.
2. Instrumental Music within the Classification of Literary Genres.
3. Iconography and Archaeological Evidence.
4. Evidence from Ancient Sources: Technical and Scholarly Writings, Historiography and Literature.
5. Lyra and Aulos in Poetic Imagery.
Please send proposals and queries by email to: [email protected]
Deadline: 31 January 2014
Andrew Barker (University of Birmingham), Antonietta Gostoli (Università di Perugia), Pauline LeVen (Yale University), Liana Lomiento (Università di Urbino), Angelo Meriani (Università di Salerno), Eleonora Rocconi (Università di Pavia-Cremona)
Deadline for confirmation of acceptance by the scientific committee: March 31, 2014
Deadline for final confirmation of participation at the Meeting: May 31, 2014
The organization will not be able to cover speakers’ meals and accommodation in full. More information on this aspect will be communicated as soon as possible.
More info to be posted at the MOISA website soon.