The Classics Faculty welcomes enquiries from potential applicants for a range of post-doctoral programmes including: British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships; Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships. We are keen to support high quality applications that intersect with research already being undertaken or developed in the Faculty.
The basic process to be followed is similar in all cases, though details and deadlines vary.
1. Applicants should be in touch with an academic in the Faculty HERE).e (academic staff and their research interests are listed
2. With the support of their sponsor, a draft application, or at least an outline research proposal should then be submitted to the Faculty Research Officer ([email protected]) by a minimum of four weeks before the relevant deadline (details below). The sponsor should also submit a short statement of their support for the proposal.
3. Applications that are received less than five working days before the funder deadline will not be submitted by the University, irrespective of support from the sponsor or the Faculty.
4. The Faculty will assess all the proposals thus submitted. For the British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships and Leverhulme ECFs there is an internal competition, and we can only support very few applications; otherwise we hope to support all quality applications which intersect with research already being undertaken or developed in the Faculty.
5. We will then let you know whether we are able to support your application in good time for the final submission deadline. We will provide feedback on both those applications we are, and are not, able to support, working with you to make applications as strong as possible before final submission.
Links to the relevant website, current, and past deadlines are listed below. Past deadlines show roughly when the next deadline for the programme is likely to be, but do check the website for details.
British Academy Postdoctoral Fellowship scheme
The Faculty of Classics invites applications for the British Academy’s Postdoctoral Fellowships scheme for entry in 2023. The Faculty (and the University) is limited on the number of applications it may put forward for this competition. The Faculty will submit its ranked supported cases by 5th September 2022.
The scheme funds three years of research on a topic of the applicant’s choice, and applications have to be hosted by a UK higher education institution. You should check the latest eligibility details on the British Academy website. (Please note that the BA website normally updates in mid-July.)
Applications should be emailed to [email protected] by 12 August 2022. You should contact an appropriate member of the Faculty to act as mentor and to help you develop your application (for a staff list see ).
The application should include
(ii) a draft British Academy application consisting of the following:
- CV (2 pages maximum) and list of publications NB: DORA principles should be considered when presenting research outputs.
- a summary of your doctoral or other previous research in about 500 words
- a research proposal of about 750 words. This should be structured following the headings in the
These documents should be supplied as Microsoft Word documents (not PDFs). Please contact [email protected] if you have any questions on this scheme.
The Faculty invites expressions of interest for postdoctoral Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships (IF).
Potential applicants are invited to submit an outline proposal, of no more than two sides of A4, for initial consideration by 1st August . A list of host academics may be found here. For more information about registering an expression of interest and submitting a proposal please be in touch with the Faculty Administrator.
Faculty Research Officer: [email protected]
School Research Office: http://www.ahssresearch.group.cam.ac.uk/