The Onassis Foundation announces the Twentieth (20th) Annual Programme of Research Grants and Educational Scholarships starting on October 1st, 2014, which is addressed to non-Greeks, University Professors of all levels (Ph.D. holders), postdoctoral researchers (Ph.D. holders), artists, post-graduate students and Ph.D candidates.
Fields/Sections of Research or Study
The Programme covers the following fields only:
-Humanities: Philology, Literature, Linguistics, History, Archaeology, Philosophy, Educational Studies, Psychology
-Social Science (excluding Law): Political Sciences, Sociology, Political analysis, International and European Studies, Administration Sciences, Social Theory and Social Policy
-Economic Science: Maritime Studies, Finance, Public Finance
-Arts: Visual Arts, Music, Dance, Theatre, Photography, Film Studies, New Media
General conditions of participation
The grants and scholarships offered within the framework of this Programme cover scholarly research or artistic creation in Greece only and in the fields stated in the above paragraph only.
Eligible to participate are the following candidates:
a) Persons of non Greek descent.
b) Cypriot citizens are also eligible to apply for category A grants only, provided they are permanently residing and working outside Greece.
c) Persons of Greek descent (second generation and on) are also eligible to apply for a grant or scholarship, provided they are permanently residing and working abroad or currently studying in foreign Universities.
d) Category A also apply to Scholars of Greek descent or citizenship provided they have a professional academic career of at least ten (10) years in a University or Research Institute abroad.
e) The above mentioned clarification (d) also applies to post-graduate students of Greek descent or citizenship, who pursue post-graduate studies outside of Greece (category C), have obtained a degree outside of Greece and are permanently residing outside of Greece for more than fifteen (15) years.
The decision to authorize each application for a grant or scholarship is left to the absolute discretion of the Board of Directors of the Foundation. The Board takes into account the recommendations of the Foundation’s Scientific Committee, which is selected by the Board, but is not bound by these recommendations. Furthermore, the Board of Directors can either approve or reject an application without communicating the rationale. All meetings of the Board and all recommendations of the Committee are confidential and under no circumstances will they be communicated to the applicants. The submission of an application equals acceptance of all the conditions of the Announcement.
Application forms / Deadline
Announcement & Nomination /Application Form
Copies of the Announcement and the relevant nomination/application forms are available from ARIONA HELLAS S.A., Representative of the Onassis Foundation in Greece:
-Monday to Friday, 10:00-15:00 hrs. at the Foreigners’ Fellowships Department, 7 Aeschinou Street, 105 58 Plaka, Athens
-by regular mail to the interested parties, upon their request and after written indication of the relevant address. Please contact the Foreigners’ Fellowships Department by post, fax (0030210 3713013) or e-mail:[email protected], or [email protected] to request this material.
-at the Foundation’s web site: www.onassis.gr.
In case you ask for the form by mail, please indicate clearly a) the category of grant/scholarship you are interested in and b) your complete postal or e-mail address.
The application form can be sent online. In this case, see the requirements and the deadline stated on the online document. In case the application form is sent by surface mail, it must imperatively be accompanied by all supporting documents and post-marked no later than January 31, 2014. Application files can either be sent online or by registered mail at the Foundation’s offices or handed in at the Foundation’s Foreigners’ Fellowships Department (address above) in person or by representative, from Monday to Friday 10:00-15:00 hrs. Applications sent after the above-mentioned deadline will not be accepted. Applicants will be informed of the results by regular mail by the end of July 2014.
1. No candidacy will be taken in for examination unless accompanied by all of the required supporting documents (including the recommendation letters).
2. The letters of recommendation must be strictly addressed to the Alexander S. Onassis Public Benefit Foundation, Foreigners’ Fellowships Programme. Please note that photocopies of letters of recommendation will not be accepted. The letters can be included in the candidate’s file or be sent directly to the Foundation by the referees.
3. Any correspondence with the Foundation as well as the nomination/application forms and all supporting documents, i.e. certificates, letters of recommendation, degrees, diplomas, university transcripts etc. must be written and submitted in Greek, English or French. Otherwise, they must be translated in one of those languages and the copies must be legalised by Public Authority.
4. The submitted supporting documents will not be returned. Applicants are kindly requested to submit copies, legalised by Public Authority, on A4 paper size [297x210mm].
5. The artists should also include samples of their artistic work and/or audiovisual material in the application file. Original artifacts are not accepted. The samples will not be returned to the candidate after two years of their submission to the Foundation.
6. All applicants are kindly requested to send their applications to the Foundation directly and not through private or public institutions or organisations.
7. Those candidates who have already applied for a grant/scholarship within the last two years and wish to apply again this year do not have to submit all the required documents. Only the following are required: a) application form b) a new CV c) a new letter with the project proposal.
8. Former Fellows of the Foundation can re-apply for a grant or scholarship only if five years have elapsed since their previous grant or scholarship.
9. Former Fellows of the Foundation who have received a grant or scholarship twice cannot apply again for a grant or scholarship.
Category A: Research grants
University professors of all levels (Ph.D. holders) / postodoctoral researchers (Ph.D holders) / Artists-musicians
Number of Grants: Up to fifteen 
Duration: From three  up to six  months maximum during the academic year Oct. 2014–Sept. 2015
a) University Professors of all levels: 1) Full Professors (PhD holders) 2) Associate Professors (PhD holders), 3) Assistant Professors (PhD holders) and 4) Lecturers (PhD holders)
b) Postdoctoral Researchers (Ph.D. holders) and
c) Renowned artists and musicians who wish to visit Greece in order to conduct scholarly research or to collaborate with educational or research or art institutions and organizations.
Condition: For cases (a) 1, (a) 2, (a) 3, (a) 4 and b) above, all applicants should have already finished their Ph.D. The grantees of category AI will be invited, on a case by case basis, to deliver a lecture or to conduct a seminar during their stay in Greece, either at the Onassis Cultural Centre of Athens or at a University or another research or cultural centre.
Subject of Research: The proposed research subject should be either directly related to the Greek culture, civilization and history or have an obvious social return for Greece.
-The proposed research subject has to be an officially accredited programme.
-The grantees (of case a-b) are bound to publish a scientific article or a chapter in a collective work or a book, dealing with findings deduced from their research granted by the Foundation, within a period of twenty four (24) months from the use of their grant.
-A specific collaboration with a Full Professor of a Greek University
Required documents for the submission of applications in category A
1. The application form (see Nomination/Application Forms-Deadline)
2. A copy of the passport page where your birth date is mentioned
3. One (1) passport size photograph
4. A letter including the following information:
-The title, purpose and specific object of the research that the grantee intends to conduce in Greece. Additionally, the grantee must mention why it is judged necessary for him/her to carry out research in Greece
-Specific officially accredited research programme publication plan/schedule (for cases (a) 1, (a) 2, (a) 3, (a) 4 & (b) only)
-Specific publication plan/schedule (for cases (a) 1, (a) 2, (a) 3, (a) 4 & (b) only)
-Specific collaboration with a Full Professor from a Greek Public University (for cases (a) 1, (a) 2, (a) 3 & (a) 4 & (b) only)
-Any research in Greece already completed or in which you are currently involved
-Any previous collaboration with Universities or Institutions in Greece
-The University or Institution and the Greek colleagues you will collaborate with
-The proposed period and place(s) of research in Greece. Please indicate whether travel within Greece will be necessary for your research and include a project plan of the trips you intend to make in Greece. While outlining your plan, please keep in mind that the month of August is not covered by the grant
-Knowledge of Modern or Ancient Greek. Knowledge of the Greek language, whenever not necessary by definition for scholarly purposes, is not a prerequisite. However, elementary knowledge of the Greek language will be favourably taken into consideration
5. An acceptance letter from a Full Professor of a Greek Public University stating his/her agreement to collaborate with the candidate on the specific project (only for candidates (a)1,(a)2,(a)3,(a)4 and b))
6. A letter of the university that supports the research proposal
7. Four (4) recommendation letters from Greece (if possible) and/or abroad
8. All candidates of cases (a)1,(a)2,(a)3,(a)4 and b) above should also include a certificate from their university attesting their exact academic position
9. All candidates of cases (a)1, (a)2, (a)3,(a)4 and (b) should include a photocopy of their Ph.D. degree
10. A detailed Curriculum Vitae/ List of publications
Provisions of the Research Grants – Category A
1. A round trip air-ticket (economy class) from and to the country and place where the grantee is permanently living, for the grantee only, for the beginning of the scholarship and upon definite departure from Greece.
2. A monthly allowance of One Thousand Five Hundred Euros (€ 1.500) for subsistence, accommodation and all other expenses.
NOTE: The grant does not cover the period from July 15 to August 31. The Foundation wishes to advise the applicants that it will not extend any facility other than the described above under any circumstances whatsoever. No allowance or air ticket is provided to the grantee’s spouse or dependents.
Category C: Educational scholarships
Postgraduate students & Ph.D candidates
Number of scholarships: Ten 
Duration: From five  up to ten  months during the acad. year Oct. 2014–Sept. 2015
Addressed to: Postgraduate Students & Ph.D Candidates
Age Limit: All candidates should be under forty  years old
Conditions: a) the field of study should be covered by the Programme (see p. 1) b) at the time of application the applicants should be enrolled for a postgraduate course (Master’s, M.Phil., Ph.D) at a University either outside Greece or in Greece c) the scholarships are offered for research in Greece only
Required documents for the submission of candidatures in Category C
1. The application form (see Nomination/Application Forms-Deadline)
2. One (1) passport size photograph
3. Official copies of all university diploma(s)/degree(s), with final grade(s), translated in either Greek, English or French and legalized by Public Authority
4. Official transcript or university record showing grades obtained in each course for all previous years of study, where the final grade of the diploma / degree will be clearly stated
5. A certificate from the University where the applicant is currently enrolled, attesting that he/she is enrolled for postgraduate studies/doctoral diploma and the exact title of the post-graduate thesis or the doctoral dissertation
6. Official certificate attesting adequate knowledge of the Greek language. Please contact the relevant university departments or language schools or Greek embassy offices in your country for more information. Please note that basic knowledge of the Greek language is a necessary prerequisite for applying, unless the applicant can prove that the research can be conducted in another language. The certificate can be submitted at a later date, but no later than March 31st, 2014.
7. Four (4) original recommendation letters, two (2) from outside Greece and, if possible, two (2) from Greece. In case the applicant has no contact with any persons in Greece, he/she may send four (4) recommendation letters from University Professors or qualified persons from abroad
8. A complete Curriculum Vitae
Provisions of the educational scholarships, Category C
1. A round trip air-ticket (economy class) for the scholarship recipient only for the beginning of the scholarship and upon definite departure from Greece
2. A monthly allowance of Eight Hundred Fifty Euros (€ 850.-) for subsistence, accommodation and all other expenses
NOTE: The scholarship does not cover the month of August. The Foundation wishes to advise the applicants that it will not extend any facility other than the described above under any circumstances. No allowance or air ticket is provided to the grantee’s spouse or dependents.