Applications are invited for a three-year PostDoc position (assegnista di ricerca) at the Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa.
The Scuola Normale Superiore announces a selection, based on work to date and interview, for 1 research contract named “The history of collecting inscriptions from the area of CIL VI in Rome” as part of the research project “The INscribed city: urban structures and interaction in imperial ROME”, acronym INROME, bando EU-HORIZON EUROPE ERC-2021-STG (GA 101054143).
The research project studies the urban structure and use of land in and around Rome in its multiple aspects with a strong focus on the epigraphic evidence from the area. The research fellow will study the history of finding, recording, and collecting inscriptions within the area of CIL VI.
Duration of the contract: 3 years
Annual gross remuneration, inclusive of all taxes: € 45,000
Application deadline: 27 October 2022
Information about the selection procedure can be found below. Applicants are advised to read the official announcement (Bando) and to follow exclusively its detailed instructions should they decide to apply.
Eligible applicants must have completed a PhD in Classical Archaeology or Roman history. Applicants who have completed the aforementioned degrees abroad may also apply, if said degrees are recognized as equivalent to Italian degrees.
Knowledge of English and Italian languages is also required to carry out the research activity. Knowledge of German and French languages is preferred, though not essential.
How to apply
Applicants with all the aforementioned requisites who wish to participate in the selection process must submit:
- a) their application, using the attached form (Att. A – Application form), written on paper with their original signature under penalty of exclusion (unless applicants choose to send their application form using a PEC e-mail address);
- b) a copy (non-authenticated) of a valid identification document;
- c) a signed and up-dated curriculum vitae containing a detailed description of their educational career and professional experience;
- d) publications, including their PhD thesis, and any other document that they believe may be useful to the assessment of their application (it is mandatory to attach all publications that applicants intend to submit for assessment by the Commission). The publications must be provided exclusively on a digital storage device (cd, USB flash drive etc.), in pdf format. For those unpublished texts accepted for publication, applicants must include the relative document in its final form and the publisher’s certificate or a detailed substitute statement of affidavit confirming that the relative text has been accepted for publication (please use Attachment B);
- e) a signed list of the submitted publications.
If the application is presented directly to the “Ufficio Protocollo” [Documents Registry Office] of the Scuola Normale or sent by registered mail or courier, the digital storage device must contain also a scanned copy of the application, the curriculum vitae and the list of publications.
In order to submit the application and documentation listed above, applicants must use one of these options:
- a) applicants can present the application form and documentation directly, during office hours (for information on opening hours please contact [email protected]), to the “Servizio Archivio, Protocollo e Posta” [Documents Registry Office] of the Scuola Normale, located at Via del Castelletto, n. 11, 56126 Pisa (Italy);
- b) applicants can send the application form and documentation by registered mail with acknowledgment of receipt or courier to the following address: Ufficio Protocollo della Scuola Normale Superiore, Via del Castelletto n. 11, 56126 Pisa (Italy). In this case, it is recommendable to write on the envelope “Application to research grant IN-ROME”;
- c) applicants can send the application form using the electronic mail only if they possess a personal certified e-mail address (the Italian PEC – Posta Elettronica Certificata). In this case, they should send the application form to the address [email protected]. If applicants send their application via PEC – Posta Elettronica Certificata, the presentation of documents and publications on paper, CD or USB flash drive is not requested.
Any candidature sent from a simple e-mail address, different from the one described above, will not be accepted.
No other delivery method will be accepted.
In the online application, applicants may also indicate up to 2 experts in the field of research, that they will contact asking them to send a letter of reference to the following e-mail address: job.[email protected] by 23.59 (Italian time) on 31 October 2022.
The Committee can decide to conduct face-to-face interviews or online interviews with the admitted applicants. In any case, the online interview will be permitted to applicants who live permanently outside Italy or are domiciled abroad for work, study or research and request to conduct an online interview instead of a face-to-face interview. Applicants who are unable to carry out an on-site interview for further different reasons can request an online interview and the Committee will decide whether or not to permit it. In case of online interview, candidates will have to comply with the guidelines on how to conduct online interviews available on the website of the Scuola Normale (https://amministrazionetrasparente.sns.it/scuola/opportunità-offerte-dalla-normale/bandi-diconcorso/assegni-di-ricerca), under penalty of exclusion.
The interview will focus on the the applicants’ qualifications, on the scientific topics related to the research to be carried out and on the applicants’ proficiency in the requested languages. The interview will focus also on the following topics: Epigraphy, Topography of ancient Rome, History of Collecting. For the interview, applicants must show a valid identification document, otherwise they will not be permitted to take part in it.
Applicants who submit the wrong contact details, miss the connection at the date and time communicated by the Administration or fail to submit an identification document forfeit their right to participate in the interview and consequently in the selection process.
The Scuola Normale is not responsible for any technical problems that may arise during the interview.
For further information or questions about the application procedure and the relative documentation, or about the selection process itself, applicants can write an email to [email protected]