This is not the first time that the National Theater of Greece chooses to show its work in alternative ways. This summer, it is collaborating for the second time with the Attica department stores, presenting from June 14 costumes of great theatrical successes from the last 40 years, in a shop window on Panepistimiou Street and on the recently built 4th floor of the department store.
This new collaboration of the National Theatre could be called “Theatre history in a shop window”, since walking in the heart of Athens, one comes upon a small “theatrical kingdom” in the well-known department store, curated by the people of the National Theatre’s historic wardrobe department and costume and set designer Eva Nathena.
There are 13 theatrical costumes from 11 acclaimed performances of the National Theatre between 1981 and 2015.
In the same window, Athenians and visitors to the city can also watch a video that shows the National Theatre over the years and be informed on this year’s productions at Epidaurus: Aristophanes’ “The Knights/Hippeis”, directed by Constantine Rigos and the “Phoenician Women” by Euripides, directed by Giannis Moschos.
The following costumes are on display:
- Oresteia 2001. Director: Giannis Kokkos. Costume Designer: Lili Kentaka. Actor: Lydia Koniordou. Role: Clytemnestra.
- The Cardinal of Spain 1981.Director: Alexis Minotis. Costume Designer: Lisa Zaimi. Actor: Christos Parlas. Role: Luis Cardona.
- The Cardinal of Spain 1981. Director: Alexis Minotis. Costume Designer: Lisa Zaimi. Actor: Babis Giotopoulos. Role: Don Philippe.
- Three sisters 1982. Director: Michalis Cacoyannis. Costume designer: Dionysis Fotopoulos. Actor: Annie Paspati. Role: Masha.
- Le Misanthrope 1993. Director: Giannis Iordanidis. Costume designer: George Patsas. Actor: Irini Konidou.
- Fausta 1997. Director: Nikos Hatzipapas. Costume designer: George Asimakopoulos. Actor: Sofia Filippidou. Role: Fausta
- Fausta 1997. Director: Nikos Hatzipapas. Costume designer: George Asimakopoulos. Actor: Sofia Kakarelidou. Role: Mrs. Iatrou.
- Hippolytus 2004. Director: Vassilis Nikolaidis. Costume designer: George Patsas. Actor: Maria Nafpliotou. Role: Aphrodite.
- The Curtain Falls 1999. Director: Maya Lymperopoulou. Costume designer: Nikos Saridakis. Actor: Vicky Kampouri. Role: Inda
- The Curtain falls 1999. Director: Maya Lymperopoulou. Costume designer: Nikos Saridakis. Actor: Gianna Nikolopoulou. Role: Fani.
11, 12. Up with the Anchors 1997. Director: Stamatis Fasoulis. Costume designer: George Asimakopoulos. Dance costumes.
- The Witches of Salem 1996. Director: Nikos Charalambous. Costume Designer: Dora Lelouda. Actor: Christos Parlas. Role: Danforth.